Sunday, November 22, 2009

Discovering the streets of Paris!


A french Beret!

Notre Dame.

Views from the Eiffel Tower!

The streets of Paris.

Gorgeous architecture.

Le Louvre!

The river Seine.

The Eiffel Tower!

Last weekend I went to one of the mostamazing cities of the world: Paris. Now before I took this trip I must admit that I had SO many expectations! After visiting I have come to this conclusion...Paris is one of the most fantastic cities I have ever seen!

I arrived in Paris through the Eurostar which is an EXTREMELY fast train that rides from London to Paris at literally the speed of light. While on the train I was looking outside my windows watching trees pass by in a blur. As soon as I left the train I felt as if I was stepping off a spaceship (in a good way!). I think the difference between a train and a plane is that once you get off a plane you take about 30 minutes to get out of the airport...a train is like instant arrival into a new world!

After taking the metro and practicing my french (which wasn't too bad after 6 months of dormancy) I met up with my friends and we toured the city. We walked around the River Seine while gazing at the beautiful french architecture. I have to say that the french construct their buildings as if they are pieces of artwork! I must have looked a bit silly taking pictures of every building (whether it was a store or apartment) yet I was genuinely amazed. Paris as a whole has the unique ability to maintain it's history while adding a modern flair to the city streets.

Once I had finished admiring the Parisian architecture I casually strolled into Le Louvre and gazed at the Mona Lisa. After seeing this famous painting for years in my textbook it was truly surreal to be standing less than 15 feet from a masterpiece! The next day I woke up early and headed straight for one of the most famous landmarks of all time...The Eiffel Tower! The line to get in the elevators was about 30 minutes long...yet it was SO worth the wait! The elevator to the top of the Eiffel Tower was really fast as it escalated into the clouds. Once I reached the top I had a birds eye view of Paris.

Later that day (after having a delicious banana and nutella crepe) I headed to Notre Dame, one of the most famous Gothic churches of all time. The dramatic exterior of the church had such detail; carved with beautiful angels and innovative gargoyles! Once I entered the church I gazed at the breathtaking architecture. There is something about the inside of a Gothic church that is so beautiful!

My friends and I then bought some french berets and toured the city streets. We decided to head into Les Invalides and see the resting place of the great Napoleon! The building was incredible; a large, beautifully crafted dome shaped building filled with intricate gold designs. Napoleon really had an incredible influence on the history of France! I later headed to a sculpture museum where I saw some of Van Gogh's work, which was gorgeous!

At night I headed to a kebab shop and then strolled around one of the most expensive areas of Paris at the Galaries Lafayette. There I contemplated purchasing a "Longchamp" bag; a french designer label sold for slimmer prices in Paris :-) After my shopping experience I once again walked the streets of Paris and gazed into the local boutiques!

Paris was WONDERFUL! I think I will definitely plan to visit once again and practice my french :-) I keep repeating the song "April in Paris" in my head...willing it to come true!

Until next time,
Ari <3

1 comment:

  1. i love reading your blog!!!

    your life is soooo amazing!
    where are u off too next weekend? :)

    ReplyDelete