Monday, October 26, 2009

Checking out landmarks!









The weekend before last my study abroad group and I traveled north to the "Lake District". The Lake District is so far north that it's actually incredibly close to Scotland (maybe about an hour). From London this is about an 8 hour bus ride through the English countryside...which is UNBELIEVABLY gorgeous! I thought that living in the East Coast would expose me to the nicest scenery...yet I was wrong! The British really know how to keep their natural areas scenic, clean...and STUNNING. The countryside is full of wide open trimmed grasslands (Think the Sound of Music) with breathtaking hills and beautiful trees. To top that off, the area is full of farm animals; there are cows, horses, pigs and MANY sheep. Now I think I know where the concept of counting sheep to go to bed comes from...

While in the Lake District I participated in Adventure Weekend where I did some really cool activities. On Saturday morning I went horseback riding throughout the beautiful English hills! In the afternoon...I went abseiling. "Abseiling" involves suspending yourself backwards over a large cliff and then repelling downwards until you can climb to the ground. It was SUCH a rush, but really fun!

On Sunday the group and I ventured into the neighboring town and sat in a small cafe. In this cafe I had a cup of hot chocolate and the most amazing Scottish scone ever! It seriously looked like on of those biscuit commercials you see on the T.V! I think I was really excited about the English experience of sitting in a cafe!!!

LAST weekend I headed off to one of the most famous landmarks...STONEHENGE! In case you didn't know, Stonehenge is a prehistoric landmark created before 2000 B.C!!! It was truly incredible to actually see a famous location that I've read about in history books throughout elementary school! Later I visited Lacock with it's beautiful Abbey.

In other news...last Wednesday I started my radio show on Insanity! In the show I play my favorite American Pop tunes while speaking about current pop news!!! It was SO much fun; I got to control all the equipment, speak with the many listeners and really learn how to create my own flow on the radio! I now have an official time for my radio show:

INSANITY RADIO SHOW-
TIME: Wednesday's from 11:00-1:00pm; TO LISTEN: Go to-http://www.insanityradio.com/ and press listen! If you have ANY requests or want a shout out, text: 011-44-07807-340-535
(Yes, that's a long number!)

This week I'll be in a fashion show for the ACS (Afro-Caribbean Society) where I will be wearing traditional and then modern African outfits, should be pretty cool! I then have a radio show on Wednesday and for the weekend I shall hang out in London!

Other than fun social activities...classes are great!!! They are really interesting, especially my Hitchcock and Point of View class. I've learned so much about film and I've discovered that the mechanisms of creating a film has ALOT to do with psychology; quite a coincidence :-)

Until next time,
Ari <3

No comments:

Post a Comment